ADSM-L

Re: Bare Metal Restore on NT V4

1998-01-15 13:05:12
Subject: Re: Bare Metal Restore on NT V4
From: Klaus Dilper <Klaus.Dilper AT RZ.UNI-KARLSRUHE DOT DE>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:05:12 -0500
Hi Kelly, hi Jerry,

I'm one off the authors of the Bare Metal Redbook (responsilble for the
OS/2 part) and - yes, I would be very pleased to get a new invitation from
IBM to keep the redbook up to date. As Kelly said, Almaden is actually a
wonderful place to work!! The book was written in Aug./Sept.1996 and we
tried to cover NT V4 in the last few days we had. We should have had some
more time for testing, but V4 was also new to us all at these days.

BTW, during our session at Almaden, we asked for some suggestions (here in
ADSM-L) and ideas for the project and did not get even one response! So, all
the stuff in the redbook (except some OS/2 hints) were developed and written
during six weeks. I remember one day where I rebooted 'my' OS/2 workstation
10 to 20 times an hour to try our 'new' methods. But 6 weeks with blue sky,
superburitos (on Monday) and barbecue (on Wednesday) for lunch helped a lot
to keep heavy workes alive!

Kelly, are you still interested to speak at the 3rd International ADSM
Conference (Sept.98, Karlsruhe, Germany)?

Greetings,

Klaus

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 09:50:21 -0700, Kelly J. Lipp wrote:

>Careful, Jerry, you might be the one they ask to redo the Redbook.  Not all
>bad as those folks work in Almaden CA in one of the nicest facilities I've
>been in.  I understand they look for six week interns to write these
>redbooks...
>
>Kelly

Klaus Dilper
Klaus Dilper
University of Karlsruhe
Computing Centre
InterNet: Klaus.Dilper AT rz.uni-karlsruhe DOT de
VoiceNet: +49-721-608-4040
FaxNet  : +49-721-32550
SnailNet: Box 6980, D-76128 Karlsruhe, Germany