ADSM-L

gui fade away

2015-10-04 18:03:06
Subject: gui fade away
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
From: Bill Mansfield <unixpro AT INTERACCESS DOT COM>
To: Jerry Lawson at ASUPO
Date: 12/2/97 1:23PM
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 18:57:52 -0600
(We're new to ADSM here, bear with me if I plow old ground)

Running MVS ADSM Server V2.1.0.?, NT Client V2.1.0.6.
Server is a large IBM Bipolar mainframe, lots of juice, client is an HP
LXPro.

Backup up a 10 GB logical drive containing about 100000 files, took a
long time, no problem, daily incrementals take about 10-15 minutes.

The problem:
Pulled up a dsm GUI, pointed at the drive, clicked restore by directory
tree.  Ran for 25 minutes!!!!! before displaying the directory tree,
whence I could restore files ok.  Near the end of this the mainframe
performance guy came over and asked if I realized ADSM was using 15-20%
of the Mainframe, would I mind stopping NOW.  It finished while we were
talking, happily.

Questions:
1.  Is it usual to take 25 minutes to build a directory tree for this
size drive?
2.  Is it usual for the mainframe server to require up to 20% of the
CPU?
3.  Is anyone else backing up this much data from a single drive, and if
so how do you restore it?

Any experiences you've had are welcome.