ADSM-L

ADSM Symbolic link problem - Have you heard about it?

1997-12-02 12:34:46
Subject: ADSM Symbolic link problem - Have you heard about it?
From: Armando Lemos <ARMANDO.LEMOS AT DEUBA DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 12:34:46 -0500
For those who have already seen this message, it may be some kind of replay,
but I am afraid it is not the case.

I am using ADSM AIX server V3.1.0.0 , AIX client 3.1.0.1 and the problem is
this :

cd /tmp
mkdir tst
cd tst
mkdir a
cd a
echo > file1
cd ..
ln -s /tmp/tst/a b
cd /tmp
dsmc /tmp/tst/b/file1

PAY ATTENTION to the information that ADSM returns to you. To me, it says that
/tmp/tst/b is a DIRECTORY, which of course it is NOT the case.

If you lose your machine, ADSM will restore a directory called b , intead of a
link to a !!!

I have opened a request on IBM in the middle of the year (1997), my customer
request call was #12.834. It seems that the problem is still surviving IBM*%s
effords.

I would like to invite IBM to comment on this matter. If I did not receive any
comments, then I will assume it is really a BUG, and there*%s no IBM plan to
solve it.

Today I am evaluating ADSM as a candidate solution for my company..... It is up
to IBM to say if I should use it or not (depending on what answer I receive).

Any comments can be send directly to my e-mail :

armando.lemos AT deuba DOT com

Thanks.

PS: If you feel you did not have enough information about how to reproduce the
problem, please ask IBM to send a copy of the trace files that they have asked
me to generate. (trace all)