ADSM-L

How are files REALLY selected for incremental backup?

1997-11-18 21:02:41
Subject: How are files REALLY selected for incremental backup?
From: Roger Deschner <U52983 AT UICVM.UIC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:02:41 CST
You might (or might not) have read my sad story from Saturday about how
to erase a tape volume full of client data efficiently and interestingly,
by doing your queries in the wrong order. Today I'm mopping up from that.

I gave last rites for that data, saved the output from QUERY CONTENT
because something tells me it will be useful, and did a DELETE VOLUME xyz
DISCARDDATA=YES on that volume. So now the database does not contain
entries for those files.

What is the easiest way to recover from this, and return to a state where
all of a client node's files are backed up? Simply have each client (as
listed from Q CONTENT) do a normal incremental backup? Will that cause
each file which had been backed up to the ill-fated tape to be backed up
again, even if has not changed since then? My question is, if one of the
files which had been previously backed up to the ill-fated tape, is still
present on the client node, (as I TRULY hope!) will its absence from the
ADSM Databse cause it to be backed up this time around? Or is it simpler,
and uses the Client Node operating system's last-change-date to determine
whether or not to back it up? In the latter case, I would probably have
to do a DELETE NODE, to induce a full backup, unless I could persuade
each client node owner to manually back up each of a list of files using
BACKUP BY TREE or BACKUP BY FILE SPEC, and to do it without making typos.

I sure hope a simple incremental backup will do it.

Aliases:                  u52983 AT uicvm.uic DOT edu        R.Deschner AT uic
DOT edu
===============I usually try to take one day at at time,================
==========but lately several days have attacked me at once...===========