ADSM-L

[no subject]

1997-11-14 20:04:56
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:04:56 PST
>From:         Brian Clinger <bclinger AT NETWALK DOT COM>
>Subject:      ADSM and DB2 on NT
>To:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>
>I thought I would send a message specific to DB2 to see if I can get any
>hits on DB2. I am running DB2 UDB on NT and would like to backup to
>ADSM. Is anyone out there running DB2 UDB on NT? Is anyone out there
>using ADSM and DB2? In reference to any database, how does the full
>backup once, incremental forever backup philosophy work with databases?
>Do you do full backups from the database side and ADSM handles the rest?

Brian, the incremental forever paradigm doesn't apply for the databases.  ADSM
is interfacing to the database backup tools.  The database products that
provide a true incremental backup use the older paradigm of fulls plus
incrementals, so you still need to take periodic full backups so that you
don't have an overwhelming number of incrementals.  When you restore, you must
first start with a full backup.

DB2 does not provide a true incremental backup, but you can do a simulated
incremental backup.  This means you can do a full backup on weekends, for
example, and then just back up the log files during the week.  This tends to
be a slower recovery process than a true incremental, because you will
probably have a significantly larger number of logs (transactions) to apply
to the database to make it consistent (and this process is a serial db process)

True incremental backups is one of the top backup requirements that DB2 dev
is aware of for their next release.
thanks,
Cyndie Behrens (IBM San Jose)