ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation Process - What kicks it off?

1997-10-16 17:25:46
Subject: Re: Reclamation Process - What kicks it off?
From: "Joseph A. Faracchio" <SPGJAF AT CMSA.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:25:46 PDT
Reclamation is dependent on expiration and user deletions.

I have found that keeping reclamation at one number always ( 45% )  and
having Expiration triggered at one time each day causes tape reclamation
to occur shortly after expiration processing starts every day.

But a reclamation can also be triggered by a user that deletes his/her
filespaces completely.  (which requires the privilege)

So you may want to trigger reclamation by lowering the number from 100 down to
the number you like, about an hour or so after you trigger expiration.

    ... joe.f.

P.S>  some people see expiration and reclamation as real performance hits and
only trigger them on weekends but we run * VM * and I find a daily 'flushing'
works just fine and is not a performance hit since VM manages performance
between ADSM and all our users very well.