ADSM-L

Re: changing node names during backup

1997-10-02 15:05:53
Subject: Re: changing node names during backup
From: "Dwight E. Cook" <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 14:05:53 -0500
     I wouldn't do an INCREMENTAL !  It will expire a heck of a bunch of
     files and back up a heck of a bunch not needed....

     NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pretend to be another node and perform an
     INCREMENTAL !   (very ugly)

     also this is why you shouldn't let your nodes delete their own backups
     & archives... root on boxA gets mad at root on boxB, root on boxA
     connects to adsm server using boxB's name & password and deletes all
     archives & backups that belong to boxB.  and who gets the blame? you
     guessed it... the adsm administrator ;-)

     OK back to the problem...   ANOTHER thing would be the next time you
     run an incremental on the node that has the backups but not the real
     files.... it will be viewed as the files being deleted and thus begins
     the cycle to flush these now inactive backups from the system

     Do an archive from the owning system as that system, set the retention
     time to what ever you need.... then if you need them on the other box,
     then at that time pretend to be the owning box and retrieve the
     archives using the owning server's name and password.

     laTER
          Dwight