ADSM-L

I/O errors on copy pool volumes

1997-06-30 16:40:06
Subject: I/O errors on copy pool volumes
From: Tom Denier <tom AT STAFF.UDC.UPENN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 16:40:06 -0400
Our site uses a copy storage pool which is stored offsite for disaster
recovery purposes. We have three 3490E drives, which are used to read
and write volumes for both the copy storage pool and a primary storage
pool kept onsite. We have occasionally attempted to read files from a
primary storage poor cartridge and had the attempt fail with I/O errors.
When this happens to a primary storage pool volume we have the option
of recovering files from the copy storage pool. However, a copy storage
pool volume is presumably just as likely as a primary storage pool
volume to suffer this kind of problem. If we ran into such a problem,
it would probably be after a disaster at a regular site, so that we
would not have the option of retrieving copies of the unreadable files
from somewhere else. How are other sites dealing with this concern?