ADSM-L

ADSM bounce after TCPIP outage

1997-03-19 09:42:53
Subject: ADSM bounce after TCPIP outage
From: Ron Heflin <RON.X.HEFLIN AT X400GW.AMERITECH DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:42:53 -0500
Dianne:
  I had this same problem with an ADSM AIX server.  It turned out that I
was using a SCHEDMODE of prompted on the clients.  When I changed the
client SCHEDMODEs to polling the problem went away.

  The reason for this is that with prompted, when the client first
contacts the server, the server knows where to find the client.  If the
TCP/IP connection between the two is dropped the connection needs to be
re-established by having the client reconnect with the server.  When
using polling, the client contacts the server every so often depending
on the QUERYSCHEDPERIOD parameter.  If the TCP/IP connection drops it
not as big a problem because the client attempts to contact the server
to see if there is any work for it (the client).

I have included part of the schedmode writeup from the ADSM options.doc
file.

SCHEDMODE

This option only applies if you are using the TCP/IP communications
method and the SCHEDULE command is running.

Use the SCHEDMODE option to specify which ADSM schedule mode to use.
The schedule mode determines whether your client node periodically asks
the ADSM server for scheduled work (POLLING), or whether the ADSM server
contacts your client node when it is time to start a scheduled operation
(PROMPTED).

All communications methods except TCP/IP only use POLLING.

  Hope this helps.

  Ron Heflin
  IBM Global Services