ADSM-L

Re: Symbolic links and reply from IBM

1997-03-07 14:28:07
Subject: Re: Symbolic links and reply from IBM
From: David Ong <david AT BABYONG.NSC DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 11:28:07 -0800
I've been following this thread since it started a week or so ago and I
must say that I am puzzled by some of the comments. My understanding was
that ADSM has never claim to back up special files, like devices, named
pipes, etc. However symbolic links are supported. This goes back to version 1.

As for the restore problem for symbolic links, I did run into an ownership
problem in that the symbolic link was restored with root ownership rather
than the original owner. This was on an AIX 4.1.4 ADSM v2.1.0.2 client.
That went away when I upgraded to v2.1.0.6. My ADSM server is v2.1.0.9 on
AIX 4.1.4. I've not been able to duplicate the problem that has been
brought up here. If there are certain unique circumstances that cause this
to happen I sure would like to know about them.

At 01:27 PM 3/7/97 +0200, you wrote:
>> From: Monte Ambrose <mambrose AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
>> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>> Date: Thursday, March 06, 1997 10:33 PM
>>
>> Christo,
>>
>> Sorry, for the slow response on this problem.  We at ADSM
>development are
>> looking into this symbolic link issue.  I will update the
>list when I have
>> a better answer for you,
>>
>> Regards,  Monte Ambrose   (ADSM AIX client development)
>
>Hi all,
>
>As can be seen from the response I got from Monte Ambrose,
>there is light on the other side of the tunnel.
>
>Thanks Monte - all I wanted to know, is it supported or not
>- so I can make an informed descision as whether ADSM
>should be part of my strategic backup proposal or not.
>(Currently we do not have the infrastructure to roll-out a
>network based product on a big scale such as Dwight and
>some others, so we have to very carefully way the pro's and
>con's and convince management that we are making the right
>descision - bearing in mind that it is not only software
>that we are buying but also hardware that runs into
>millions of $$$. If I later come along and say "Sorry but
>our descision does not support symbolic links etc. please
>fork out another few million for a product that does..." -
>I'll be DEAD/FRIED/FIRED.
>
>So I was not trying to shoot down ADSM/IBM - all I wanted
>was a reply.
>
>Thanks Monte - Please keep the list informed on your
>findings.
>
>Regards
>
>Christo Heuer
>ABSA Bank
>Johannesburg
>South Africa
>christoh AT absa.co DOT za

Have a nice day or whatever's left of it.

David Ong
National Semiconductor Corp.