ADSM-L

Symbolic links and reply from IBM

1997-03-07 06:27:41
Subject: Symbolic links and reply from IBM
From: Christo Heuer <christoh AT ABSA.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 13:27:41 +0200
> From: Monte Ambrose <mambrose AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Date: Thursday, March 06, 1997 10:33 PM
>
> Christo,
>
> Sorry, for the slow response on this problem.  We at ADSM
development are
> looking into this symbolic link issue.  I will update the
list when I have
> a better answer for you,
>
> Regards,  Monte Ambrose   (ADSM AIX client development)

Hi all,

As can be seen from the response I got from Monte Ambrose,
there is light on the other side of the tunnel.

Thanks Monte - all I wanted to know, is it supported or not
so I can make an informed descision as whether ADSM
should be part of my strategic backup proposal or not.
(Currently we do not have the infrastructure to roll-out a
network based product on a big scale such as Dwight and
some others, so we have to very carefully way the pro's and
con's and convince management that we are making the right
descision - bearing in mind that it is not only software
that we are buying but also hardware that runs into
millions of $$$. If I later come along and say "Sorry but
our descision does not support symbolic links etc. please
fork out another few million for a product that does..." -
I'll be DEAD/FRIED/FIRED.

So I was not trying to shoot down ADSM/IBM - all I wanted
was a reply.

Thanks Monte - Please keep the list informed on your
findings.

Regards

Christo Heuer
ABSA Bank