ADSM-L

shared memory

1997-01-16 10:58:25
Subject: shared memory
From: Jon Dunn <jwd AT INDIANA DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 10:58:25 -0500
I'm running server 2.1.5.10 and client 2.1.0.5 under AIX 4.1.4 and am
having problems using the shared memory commmethod...

/usr/lpp/adsmserv/bin/README states:

  To avoid a communications error while using shared memory
  communications,
  one of the following must be true.

   1. The client and server user ID must be the same.
   2. The client user ID must be root.
   3. The dsm.sys stanza for the local server must have
      PASSWORDACCESS GENERATE on.
      This causes the dsmtca to run as root.

I am using passwordaccess generate (I assume that the above should really
read "The dsm.sys stanza for the local client"), but I still can't seem to
get dsmc to connect to the server when running as a user other than root.
I get the error "ANS4474E An error occured using the Shared Memory
protocol."  When I run dsmc as root, it works fine.

Is there some other trick I'm missing to be able to used the shared memory
communications method when running the client as a user other than root?
Does anyone have this working?

Thanks,

-Jon
---
---
Jon Dunn                        VARIATIONS Project
Jon Dunn                        VARIATIONS Project
jwd AT indiana DOT edu                 Indiana University Music Library