ADSM-L

Re: Some requirements to discuss

1997-01-13 16:43:15
Subject: Re: Some requirements to discuss
From: "Pittson, Timothy ,Corp/US" <tpittson AT HIMAIL.HCC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 16:43:15 -0500
Bob,

1. When our ADSM server needs a tape drive for a restore, it does
preempt other background processes (i.e. reclamations, migrations, etc.)
so I'm not sure why you're having this problem.   However, I do agree
with the requirement that customers should be able to prioritize tape
resource utilization according to their own requirements.

2. I've been begging for some sort of checkpoint/restart mechanism for
expiration processing for years.  Since we've moved to AIX it's not as
big an issue for us now (once a week, it only runs 8.5 hours on AIX vs.
26-30 hours on our old MVS system).

3. I would recommend looking at a firewall product to prevent internet
access as this exposure is not unique to the ADSM environment but rather
leaves your entire computing environment vulnerable to attack.  As far
as the disgruntled employee scenario you describe, you could make a
policy of 'locking' a node if somebody leaves your company.  For
administrator access, I would strongly recommend removing or locking the
ADSM supplied administrator ID (ADMIN ???) and registering
administrative accounts with unique IDs.  At least this prevents
somebody familiar with the product from trying to guess a password...
they'll also have to guess the admin ID.

Tim Pittson