ADSM-L

Re: Million file limit?

1997-01-03 00:20:44
Subject: Re: Million file limit?
From: Gary Grider <ggrider AT C8-IBM.LANL DOT GOV>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 22:20:44 -0700
WE have many servers all with well over a million files (yes actual files
determined via q occ and adding the total files) you can be
confused by database records I think the ratio of database records to
actual files is something like 7 databse records to 1 file or maybe
10 to 1 - but q occ will tell you how many actual files you have
if you sum the numbers from the output of q occ.  10 million files
takes roughly 10 gig of db (very roughly).  We have several clients
with more than one million files, and even some filesystems on clients
with almost a million files.  As for data stored, we have servers with
well over a terabyte of data, determined by q occ or just add up the
3490 tape volumes used and make a guess.  We have weeks that we
expire several hundred thousand files per server.

Gary Grider
Los Alamos National Lab