ADSM-L

Re: AFS volume restoration?

1997-01-03 04:17:49
Subject: Re: AFS volume restoration?
From: Werner Baur <Werner.Baur AT LRZ-MUENCHEN DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 10:17:49 +0100
Joe,

Beside the problem of re-creating the AFS volumes there is a second one.
After having done ADSM incrementals of AFS files for a long time the
files of one AFS volume are spread over many tapes. So if you have a
disk crash at one of your AFS servers it takes a long time to gather all
the files of this disk from the tapes.
I have about 17,000 AFS volumes. My solution is to do the backup twice.
Every night an ADSM incremental is running. This is for restoring a
single file or a small bunch of files casually destroyed by the user. A
major problem of this method is that all files are stored in a few
filespaces of one ADSM node causing incredibly high response times for
query and restore commands. Also this way is not feasible for restoring
a whole disk or server.
Additionally I am doing a volume backup. For this purpose I am using
"buta" which is a modified butc developped at the IBM Almaden Research
Center. With buta I can restore a whole disk in a pretty reasonable
time, much faster than by ADSM file restore, AND I get the volume
re-created. I am using the beta code of buta for more than a year now
without major problems, and I think it is the way to go, because you do
not loose the volume structure which is very important for AFS disk
space management. buta will become an offical product very soon. If the
author of buta who is certainly watching this list has not already
contacted you and you are interested I can give you his email address.

Werner

Joe Morris wrote:

> In some simple tests with AFS backups and restores, I was troubled a bit
> concerning ADSM not restoring AFS volumes.  This brings up an important
> issue I'm sure I will get asked.  If we have a disaster, how do we restore
> 30K AFS volumes?  We have a separate volume for each user as many other
> AFS sites operate.  Is there no method for ADSM to re-create AFS volumes?
> What solutions have others found for this?

> Joe Morris  -  morris AT unc DOT edu  -  http://sunsite.unc.edu/morris
> Academic Technology and Networks (formerly OIT), Development

Werner Baur
Leibniz-Rechenzentrum     X.400:
S=Baur;OU=lrz;P=lrz-muenchen;A=d400;C=de
Barer Str. 21            RFC822:  Werner.Baur AT lrz DOT de
D-80333 Muenchen           Tel.:  ++49-89-28928781
Germany                     Fax:  ++49-89-2809460