ADSM-L

Re: Re[2]: MagStar drives and 3494 Library

1996-11-19 15:47:50
Subject: Re: Re[2]: MagStar drives and 3494 Library
From: Tom Bell <bell AT WAII DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 14:47:50 -0600
>      Unlike those who have responded so far, I have seen more than my fair
>      share of problems with the 3494 L10 D12 with 2 3490e drives and 4 3590
>      Magstar drives.  The problem I am having is the 3494 gets unload
>      failures on the 3590 drives that results in any process running on
>      that drive to fail.(usually migration)  IBM has been working on this
>      since July with no fix in sight.  Do I have a LEMON or is anybody else
>      having similar problems?
>
>      I am also adding another ADSTAR server which will share the 3494 and
>      have 2 of the 4 Magstar tapes dedicated to it.  Is anyone out there
>      sharing there 3494 between 2 Adstar servers?  I would appreciate any
>      comments.

We have a 3494 with 2 3490Es and 2 3590s.  We are running an AIX ADSM
server and non-ADSM applications.  We continue to have intermittent
problems with the 3494, although they are minor compared to 1.5 years
ago.  We estimate about 2 days 3494 down time out of every 90 days of
operation.  We have found the 3590s to be pretty reliable.  We have
about 100 in our main computer center, mostly installed in STK 4400
silos.  Our biggest problems with the 3590s have been in two areas: the
ACF and the elevator in the drive itself.  Given a choice between 3590s
with ACFs and 3590s in a 3494, I'd choose the 3494 every time.

Given the alternatives for a mid-size 3590-capable library (3494 or
Emass), we have recently recommended 3494s for other sites.  Not a
glowing recommendation, more like choosing the lesser evil.

--
Tom Bell                                    tom.bell AT wg.waii DOT com
Tom Bell                                    tom.bell AT wg.waii DOT com