ADSM-L

Incremental by Date.

1996-10-02 10:49:09
Subject: Incremental by Date.
From: "David Derk (408-256-0267)" <derk AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 07:49:09 PDT
>>We are looking to the incremental by date facility available with V2
>>clients.
>>It looks much more faster than total incremental but does not detect
>>deleted files or files with changed attributes.
>>
>So it seems that partial incrementals are cumulative up to the next ful
>>incremental...
>>
>>On the server side, the administrative "q files node filespace f=d"
>>command is correct :
>>
>>the "Last Backup Completion Date/Time" field is the Date/Time of the
>>last partial incremental !!
>>
>>Is this behavior normal ? or did I miss something ?

No this is not correct!  All of your assumptions are correct
except the part that partial incrementals are cumulative up to
the next full incremental.

At the successful completion of a partial incremental the
"Last Backup Completion Date/Time" will be updated on the
server.  Your note above says that this is happening on your
system.

The next partial incremental will use this date to compare with
the date of the file.  Is it possible that the date of the
files is somewhere in the future??? This may happen if the ADSM
server machine has a different date/time than the ADSM client
machine.

A few hours difference between server and client machines will
not cause a problem if the schedules are run every 24 hours.
Sometimes when you are testing the feature a partial incremental
is run minutes apart and the time different may cause the
file to be sent twice.

David Derk
ADSM Development