ADSM-L

Re: ADSM performance

1996-09-25 22:18:26
Subject: Re: ADSM performance
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 21:18:26 -0500
     ... OK, I shouldn't be laughing but I guess you missed a few of my
     messages in the past...  I HAVE TONS OF NOVELL 4.1 SERVERS WITH 60GB
     (120GB but mirrored) Ha, I'm smoke'n you on restore times... at first
     I was seeing 500MB/hr...  Just think if a fire took out about 6 of
     these babies....Hmmmm 6 times 60 is 360 GB or 368640 MB divided by the
     500MB/hr, I could be back up and running in 737.28 hours (excluding
     tape mount time) heck why don't we just call it ONE MONTH !
     Ok, really now... NOVELL+ADSM tricks for faster backup/recoveries :
     1) processorutilization in the novell option file... 1-infinity,
        default is 1, try 20
     2) run multiple, concurrent sessions... you can do this by having your
        adsm server schedule an event that is a command and make that
        command something like INCR.NCF and inside that put statements like
        LOAD DSMC INCREMENTAL SYS:
        LOAD DSMC INCREMENTAL APPS:
        and on BUT !!!!! this will probably end with all data on one (1)
        tape SOOOO (but it will cost you for extra licenses) do an
        additional trick, TURN ON COLLOCATION and modify the stmnts thus:
        LOAD DSMC -NODE=nodenameSYS INCREMENTAL SYS:
        LOAD DSMC -NODE=nodenameAPPS INCREMENTAL APPS:
        LOAD DSMC -NODE=nodenameDATA INCREMENTAL DATA:
     now all the data for each logical volume resides on seperate tape pool
     volumes SO YOU CAN RUN MULTIPLE, CONCURRENT RESTORES ! ! !
     If you could run it across FDDI you should do so...
     AND FOR ANY WHO MISSED IT EARLIER, SET THE FDDI PACKET SIZE TO 4202 IF
     YOU ARE EXPERIENCING INITIAL HANDSHAKES FOLLOWED BY TIMEOUT'S WHEN
     SCHEDULED EVENTS RUN AGAINST NOVELL CLIENTS, your server is probably
     sending packets larger than novell is set to handle...
     3) MAX out parms like the TXN's for clients & server and it shouldn't
        hurt if  you have an ADSM6000 server with 2.1.0.9 to max out the
        MAXMOVEblah parameters...
     4) Back on the server... make sure the DB & LOG are on seperate
        physical volumes ! Novell servers, well servers in general, seem to
        contain billions & billions of 0.5KB files and the DB&LOG activity
        will kill you... if you can split the DB up over different physical
        volumes I would do that also... (don't have specifics but just
        knowing that the DB holds EVERYTHING, not only bkup/arc files and
        their locations but also the activity log info, scheduled event
        info, etc. one could assume they stand a good chance at reducing
        I/O wait time [against db volumes] by splitting it up across phy
        volumes...
     That's about all I can think of currently... Hope it helps...
     Oh, 'bout 6-6.5GB with 5 concurrent sessions over FDDI was/is about
     our best so far... I wish you the best of luck in beating that, if you
     do... please launch some tips back my way....
     later
         Dwight