ADSM-L

Re: Differencies between DLT and MAGSTAR technology from A

1996-09-25 22:37:27
Subject: Re: Differencies between DLT and MAGSTAR technology from A
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 21:37:27 -0500
     Quick  note,  the 3590 will be faster in positioning the tape...
     or should I phrase that as the 3590 will come to speed (and or stop)
     in less time.  The 3590 can go in a 3494ATL ;-)  I can't say 'bout the
     DLT 4700 BUT I have some 10GB tapes with 80GB of user file space due
     to the hardware compression it performs.  I'm right there with you on
     the OUCH to the wallet but our distributed environment has been
     growing out of control AND IF WE DIDN'T HAVE 3494ATL'S WITH 3590
     MAGSTARS I WOULD BE IN A WORLD OF HURT RIGHT NOW! (the traffic on our
     two adsm servers has gone like this: 1st server Jun:1.4terabytes,
     Jul:2.4terabytes, Aug:3.4terabytes ; 2nd server May:2.4terabytes,
     Jun:3.3terabytes, Jul:3.5terabytes, Aug:4.785terabytes   and by
     traffic I mean data into the server as backups/archives and data out
     of the server as restores/retrieves... I believe total files in each
     atl is right on the 7 terabyte number.... (I haven't checked lately...
     just know I've got plenty of scratch volumes)
     Oh, and YES the magstar can do high speed positioning to files deep in
     the tape.

     Hey, you might want to check into IBM's latest offerings in the tape
     storage area....

     later
          Dwight