ADSM-L

Starting up with ADSM

1996-09-23 01:11:33
Subject: Starting up with ADSM
From: Alvin Yuen <alvin AT FLCGUT.PO DOT MY>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 13:11:33 +0800
Hello all,

My company has just purchased an ADSM system (with a 10-cart mag) and we are
at a loss at how to perform a full corporate implementation. ADSM just isn't
like a conventional backup system (ie 4mm DAT tapes), and have features that
I cannot fully comprehend. I have been reading the Admin Guide pretty
fervently and these are a few things I have in mind... I would appreciate it
if anyone here could help me fill in any blanks I have.

1) The main corporate data is an Oracle database.

2) We plan to do incremental backups on Mon-Sat.. retaining the data for up
to 3 months. Monday backups will go into tape 'BU-MONDAY' and tuesdays into
tape 'BU-TUESDAY' etc.

3) We plan to do full (absolute) archiving on Sundays.. retaining the data
for 5 years. New tapes will be used every Sunday for 5 years, hence we have
backup data for up to 5 years for each week.

4) Full restoration will be performed by first retrieving the most recent
Sunday archive, followed by a restoration of the following incremental
backups. (Will this work?)

Does anyone have an opinion on whether this will work, or is anyone else
implementing a different strategy?

How about backing up the ADSM database? How is that done?

Is there anything I might have missed out?

Thanks in advance. I hope to be able to contribute later as soon as I get my
hands dirty in it.

Alvin Yuen
Alvin Yuen
Consultant