ADSM-L

Re: Starting up with ADSM

1996-09-23 23:41:43
Subject: Re: Starting up with ADSM
From: John O'Connell <JohnO10196 AT AOL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 23:41:43 -0400
            For Oracle data bases and ADSM -- there is a OEM product
                 SQL-ACKTRACK that will take care of ORACLE data bases or you
can shut the ORACLE data bases down and do a 'INCREMENTAL' .  If you do a
INCREMENTAL against a ORACLE data base without a OEM product like
SQL-BACKTRACK or the new ADSM ORACLE backup agent then it will back up the
entire ORACLE data base it backs up the whole data base.  We use the SYBASE
SQL-BACKTRACK product and it has worked with very few problems.

            I have had no experience with DAT drives so I can't help you
their.
            We are in the process of upgrading from 2.1.0.3 to 2.1.5.9.  One
of the reasons we are going to this level is because of tracking tapes or
cartridges offsite.
We also have a record retention requirement every month.  Our monthly archive
goes
offsite for 10 years.  Right now I use a series of UNIX scripts to issue
commands to generate a list of tapes that go offsite and to mark them
unavailable to ADSM.
Good luck on your implementation.

John O'Connell

Siemens Communications