ADSM-L

Tape drives "defined" after reboot

1996-06-26 17:27:36
Subject: Tape drives "defined" after reboot
From: Mike Knight <knightm AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 17:27:36 EDT
From: Mike Knight, ISSC Aerospace, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
Inet:                                             KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM

Last month there was a discussion on 8mm and other ADSM tape drives and
libraries showing up as "defined" instead of "available" after a reboot of
AIX with ADSM/6000 Version 2.1.0.7.  I finally called it into IBM and found
APAR IC13433 now documents the problem.

This was a packaging problem in IP20646 which will be corrected in the next
patch level.  There is a workaround in the APAR which fixed it for us.  The
odmadd command is the temporary addition to the normal bosboot command.

   - cd /usr/lpp/adsmserv ; odmadd Config_Rules.odmadd
   - bosboot -a -d /dev/boot-disk      (In our case /dev/ipldevice works)

         Mike (Just another user) Knight
Personal opinion, not responsible for destroyed systems.  Call IBM for support.