ADSM-L

performance questions

1996-05-13 16:37:19
Subject: performance questions
From: Byron Graham <uskimwvm AT IBMMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 16:37:19 EDT
I have a variety of questions with regards to ADSM performance that I would
like to get input on. Please feel free to reply directly to me or to the
list. We are running our ADSM server under VM/ESA Version 2. Our client base
is a mixture of Windows (3.1) pcs, Netware fileservers, and UNIX (HP/UX)
systems. We use TCP/IP as the communication protocol. We force compression
on at the client end.

1) what is the speed of your network ? i think our network backbone is
   10 megabit. there is talk of upgrading it to 100 megabit but don't know
   when that will happen. we also don't know how much impact (benefit) it
   would have on the speed of adsm if we do this upgrade. we also are
   pumping all of the tcp/ip traffic through a low-end 3172 (and have no
   way of measuring the performance of this box to know if it is overloaded
   or not).

2) do your users complain about how long it takes to recover pc disks via
   adsm ? ours say that the restore times are unacceptable. i don't think
   the people saying this are talking about individual files, i think these
   are people who have wiped out their entire drive & are trying to recover
   a full volume. some of the novell disks are 1 & 2 gig in size. these can
   take many many hours to restore.

3) i guess the overall question i would like to get answered is... what is
   *THE* most important factor which dictates the speed of an adsm backup or
   restore?

   - is it the power(memory,cpu,etc) of the workstation client ?
   - is it the speed of the pc/server's disk drive ?
   - is it the network speed ?
   - is it the communication protocol ? (what is faster than TCP/IP ?)

any information will be helpful. Thanks !