ADSM-L

Redbooks

1996-02-21 19:35:28
Subject: Redbooks
From: Cyndie Behrens <cbehrens AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 19:35:28 EST
In general, we don't like to write redbooks such as ADSM for Dummies.
We tend to bring in technical experts to write about new functions, features,
how to integrate products together.  I'm not saying it isn't a good idea
to write an ADSM for Dummies, but I don't think the folks that come to work
on redbooks are the right people to do this effectively.

There are many redbooks that are available in bookstores.  Many of the
ITSO centers that write redbooks have established contracts with various
publishing companies, to produce external books.  Sometimes it is just
a redbook that is already available that is updated to be acceptable by
an external publisher (not always a trivial task).  We are trying to
get a couple of the ADSM redbooks turned into external books....for example,
we feel the Using ADSM to Back Up Databases would reach more Oracle, Sybase,
etc administrators if it was externally available, since there are
thousands of such customers.  So far I haven't been effective in convincing
the publisher, but we'll keep trying.

In some countries, all redbooks are orderable from bookstores.  I just had
a women working with me on a redbook from New Zealand, and that's how
customers can get redbooks in her country.

So, these are all great ideas, many of which are being worked on, but progress
is sometimes slow.
Cyndie Behrens
IBM - ITSO San Jose
cbehrens AT vnet.ibm DOT com