ADSM-L

Long Backup Times

1996-01-11 17:54:07
Subject: Long Backup Times
From: Robert Jarry <jarry AT SEUSS.CC.UTEXAS DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 16:54:07 -0600
I am evluating ADSM/6000 as a network backup solution and am experiencing
long backup times.

I recently installed ADSM/6000 v2 on a RS/6K 590 with 256MB of memory and
one LAGO Datawheel (2 8mm 8500c tape drives inside). I configured ADSM for
backup only, no storage migration or archive.  I ran a full backup of one
800MB filesystem  which is on the server to get some idea of what the best
backup rate might be. It's taking almost 2 hours to backup only 800MB. I
currently am taking the installed defaults except for TCPBuffsize and
TCPWinsize, which I reset to the max values of 32 and 2048 respectively.
The transfer rate to the server is between 7000 kb/s and 8000kb/s.

Any idea why the backup is taking so long?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Robert Jarry | r.jarry AT cc.utexas DOT edu | (512) 475-9330
Robert Jarry | r.jarry AT cc.utexas DOT edu | (512) 475-9330