ADSM-L

HP-UX version 10.x clients and the VX-FS

1996-01-11 15:12:38
Subject: HP-UX version 10.x clients and the VX-FS
From: Dan Crouse <Dan.Crouse AT MAILPORT.DELTA-AIR DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 15:12:38 -0500
On  Wed, 10 Jan 1996 15:31:33 EDT, Peter F Carranti writes:

>We are running ADSM/MVS server v1.1 level 0.12 with HP-UX clients running
at
>version 1.2 level  0.10 ptf IP20422.
>
>According to my HP-UX system administrator, v10.01 uses a new type of file
>system called VX-FS.  This apparently is HP's version of the journalized
file
>system (JFS).   On our particular machine the /sybase and /dumpdata
filesystem
>use VX-FS.
>
>The problem is that ADSM is not backing up these filesystems and has no
>knowledge of their existence.  We see no errors in the dsmsched.log or any
>attempt to backup the /sybase or /dumpdata filesystems.
>
>Is IBM aware of this and will they be supporting VX-FS soon?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Pete Carranti
>Niagara Mohawk Power Corp.
>Syracuse, NY

Pete,

We are also supporting HP-UX 10.x systems.  According to our discussions
with IBM, they are currently working ADSM client support for this new level
of the operating system and VX-FS..  Although ADSM does not recogonize the
VX-FSs as a local file systems, it will back them up if told to do so
explicitly.  The approach that we have taken is to explicitly define all
local file systems using DOMAIN statments  in the dsm.opt file.  I copied
the following from one of the dsm.opt files:

DOMain  ALL-LOCAL
DOMain  /usr
DOMain  /var

It should be noted that ADSM still recognizes the root (/) file system as
being local.  That is why we include the DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL definition.

We are running an MVS version 2.1.03 server with 2.1.01 HP-UX clients.  I
don't think that the differences in the versions of server and client code
should matter for this issue.

DanC
Daniel G. Crouse
Software Information Services, Inc.
Email:  Dan.Crouse AT MAILPORT.DELTA-AIR DOT COM
Voice:  800-233-6838