ADSM-L

Re: Novell QDR SRV and SYS Files

1995-12-21 22:31:58
Subject: Re: Novell QDR SRV and SYS Files
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 1995 08:31:58 +0500
Jeff Renicker writes:

> Diane Ashby writes:
>
> >At my site ADSM rejects backup of print queue directory files with the
> >message
> >  ANS4090E Access to the specified file or directory is denied
> >following a NetWare message
> >  TSA311 4.5 266 This data set is in use and cannot be accessed at this time.
> >
> >IBM support has directed me to investigate this as a NetWare access
> >rights issue, but our onsite NetWare support staff disagrees since ArcServe
> >has successfully backed up the same files.
> >
> >Has anyone encountered this?  Can any of you direct me so as to get ADSM to
> >back up these files?  We're using ADSM 2.1.  --Diane
>
> Yes, we had the exact same problem.  I believe it has to do with the way
> the various backup products access the files.  ArcServe and Palindrome access
> the files directly while ADSM uses the NetWare SMS API to get them.  We talked
> to the ADSM support folks quite a bit and their response was that if the SMS
> routine denied access to the file then ADSM couldn't read it.  We finally
> ended
> up excluding the QDR files, using the EXCLUDE statement in DSM.OPT, and told
> the user community that ADSM cannot back them up.  We're not happy with this
> because we get lots of questions when we tell users that this "new and
> improved"
> way of backing up data doesn't back up everything. If you find a way to make
> ADSM back them up, I'd like to hear how you did it.
>
> Jeff

I figured I'd toss my two cents in on this one. I ran into this problem back
when ADSM first came out, opened a problem and got the same response from
IBM. Since I don't consider these files to be mission critical, I didn't
make a big deal about it. What is the impact if these files are not backed
up?

I think there are a couple of issues here:

1) I am not generally comfortable with products that essentially violate
   operating system integrity.

2) If there is a case to be made that ADSM should be able to back these
   files up, then I recommend submitting a requirement via the ADSM-R
   list server. Perhaps IBM can implement a 'master' option on the server
   whether clients will be allowed to back these files up, and then an
   option at the client level to enable this support.

Andy Raibeck