ADSM-L

Re: V2 Administrative Client for OS/2

1995-11-13 18:14:22
Subject: Re: V2 Administrative Client for OS/2
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 23:14:22 +0000
Jeff Mathers asks:

> I am currently using ADSM/2 Version 1 Release 2. I this the same product
> you are using or something different?

When the V2 servers were made available (AIX and MVS only....for now),
newer levels of the client code were also made available at the V2 level.
So if your backup/archive and GUI clients come up saying they are at V1 R2,
then you are running older code. The current client levels are Version 2,
Release 1, Level 0.1. The current MVS server is Version 2, Release 1,
Level 0.3. I don't know what level the AIX server is at, but it too is
Version 2, Release 1.

Of the existing backup/archive clients, you'll see very little change - at
least externally (I don't know what went on under the covers). Some new
options were added to the command line backup/archive clients, most notably
-FROMDATE, -TODATE, and -IFNEWER.
The GUI admin has undergone major renovation, some good (multitasks better,
The GUI admin has undergone major renovation, some good (multitasks better,
and I like the icon placement) and some not so good (like limiting the number
of client and volume displayes to 500).

The *major* changes for ADSM V2 are:

Improved server database backup and recovery
Backup and recovery of the ADSM server storage pools
Scheduling of Administrative commands
HSM (space management) functions (initially AIX only)
The addition of some new clients (including a Lotus Notes backup agent)

Hope this helps clarify a few things.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521