ADSM-L

Re: ADSM bugs and support.

1995-10-23 10:50:00
Subject: Re: ADSM bugs and support.
From: "paul (p.) shields" <pshields AT BNR DOT CA>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 09:50:00 -0500
I would have to say that the performance of ADSM is very dependent on your exact
environment. In an environment with large databases and large file sizes, ADSM
works well. Performance is very good in these types of environments and the
small number of nodes to manage make ADSM a good solution.

In an environment with millions of small(<100K) files, ADSM starts to break
down. It has an extremely high database overhead that limits overall
performance. In our environment, we expect to peak out at about 1500kB/s, barely
acceptable performance. We are currently planning on running a large scale trial
through the end of the year and have been trying to put a lot of pressure on IBM
to fix the bottlenecks. Most of the performance enhancements are not scheduled
to happen until next year though. The only disappointment support-wise, is the
glacier like rate of development and bug-fixing. There are tremendous time lags
in making the latest server versions available on different platforms. Also,
support for new OS releases on client platforms seems to lag almost 6 months
behind the release of the OS, HP/UX 10.0 is a good example of this.

We have already run one small trial with 20 nodes and about 2 million files, and
are large trial will cover about 25 nodes with probably 5-10 million files.
Total data for the large trial should be about 500G.

Paul Shields
pshields AT bnr DOT ca