ADSM-L

How Can I Select Many Subdirectories?

1995-04-13 13:57:56
Subject: How Can I Select Many Subdirectories?
From: MJ Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 10:57:56 PDT
>Several of my ADSM users want to archive all the files in very large
>directory tree structures.  They contain thousands of files in thousand
>of subdirectories.  The lowest level subdirectories are twenty to thirt
>levels deep.
>Surely there is an easy way to do this?

In a recent maintenance release, we added the ability to archive
subdirectories to both the command line (dsmc) and the GUI (dsm).
Choose the Archive by File Specification menu choice, and you
will see a box to check to Include Subdirectories.

It would probably be easiest for your users if they would just
issue a command line command to archive their filesystems:
    dsmc archive "/filesystem/*" -subdir=yes -desc="My archive 4/13/95"
especially if this was done by the scheduler so it would run off-hours.

If they would feel better seeing it on the GUI, though, have them
go to the Archive by File Specification window for each filesystem,
and specify a "*" wildcard for file name, and check the Include
Subdirectories box.  I think this will do what you want, though
they will still have to wait a long time while the screens of
eligible files are built.  If you do it by each individual file
system, you should shorten the time a little and also keep down
the memory requirements.  If the top level directories still
take too long, try starting with the next level directory down.

                            -- MJ Lopatin
                               ADSM Client Development