ADSM-L

Windows Client Suggestions

1995-02-16 11:28:38
Subject: Windows Client Suggestions
From: Michael Gardi <megardi AT WATSERV1.UWATERLOO DOT CA>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 11:28:38 -0500
The following comments are from a user that was asked to evaluate
ADSM archive functionality for their area.  They were running the
Windows 1.2.5 client against an MVS server.  I know that I have seen
some of these comments before on this list, so I apologize in advance
for the repetition.

1) The drive label does not make any sense as an entry into finding
the archived data.  In fact for network drives the label will change
depending on which drive someone has the network drive allocated to
(ie. I might have alias XXX on my Q: drive and someone else might have
it on his S: drive and if we do archiving then which drive do we
select for retrieval.  The ALIAS would be a much better choice
instead of the drive label.  (I will try out the multi drive
selection with search by description to see if this satisfies my short
term needs but would like this addressed longer term - next 6 months
to a year).  This is an enhancement that should be reported to IBM.

>> Note we are running LS 3.1 and are moving to 4.0 so I think that
   a "Domain.Alias" name would make sense here.

2) It makes sense to keep the archived data under one node for easy
access.  Alternatively this could be one node for each system.  The
issues is that we need to share passwords.  You can give permission
to other nodes to do retrieves it would be nice if we could give
permission to archive as well.  In fact it would be nice to tie this
in with ACF2 so we could grant access to all the MCC and not specify
in ADSM each node.  This is an enhancement that should be reported to
IBM.

3) When selecting by directory for archiving you need to explicitly
include the sub-directories.  This is a bug as far as I am concerned
and should be reported to IBM.

>> ie. You should be able to pick a subdirectory tree.

4) When selecting a retrieve I need to always check off the scan
sub-directories box otherwise nothing is found.  It would really be
nice if it would remember the setting from last time.  This is an
enhancement that should be reported to IBM.

5) When doing a retrieve (ie. a restore from archive) if you select
anything other than restore to the original place you loose the
sub-directory structure and everything goes into one directory.  This
is a bug and should be reported to IBM.

Mike Gardi
Systems Integration Group
Mutual Life of Canada