ADSM-L

Re: Restore of UNIX satellites

1994-08-16 05:06:55
Subject: Re: Restore of UNIX satellites
From: Reinhard Mersch <mersch AT UNI-MUENSTER DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 11:06:55 +0200

> David and Reinhard,
>
>   A recap on your problem (now that I finally understand it):
> Your UNIX users (lots and lots of them) have their home directories
> mounted on file servers.  Root on the file server backs up the file
> server, including all the home directories.  The users now cannot restore
> their home directories without a) having a logon on the fileserver or
> b) having the root user on the file server issue SET ACCESS for
> each user that has a home directory (a lot of work with lots of users).
>
>   The NODENAME parameter does work on UNIX, from the command line or from
> the GUI. NODENAME is a good solution to restore user directories backed up
> on fileservers on large networks like yours.  The only drawback is that,
> for security reasons, your users who use NODENAME will need to know the
> ADSM password of that file server client.

No, security reasons prohibit this method, because users can then see
(and restore?) the backups of any other user. Not to mention that I would
really hate to tell our users, that they have to use a password, everybody
knows. What is it for at all? They will laugh at me.

--
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet
Reinhard Mersch                     Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet