ADSM-L

Restore of UNIX satellites

1994-08-15 16:39:45
Subject: Restore of UNIX satellites
From: MJ Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 1994 13:39:45 PDT
David and Reinhard,

  A recap on your problem (now that I finally understand it):
Your UNIX users (lots and lots of them) have their home directories
mounted on file servers.  Root on the file server backs up the file
server, including all the home directories.  The users now cannot restore
their home directories without a) having a logon on the fileserver or
b) having the root user on the file server issue SET ACCESS for
each user that has a home directory (a lot of work with lots of users).

  The NODENAME parameter does work on UNIX, from the command line or from
the GUI. NODENAME is a good solution to restore user directories backed up
on fileservers on large networks like yours.  The only drawback is that,
for security reasons, your users who use NODENAME will need to know the
ADSM password of that file server client.

  To use NODENAME, the user says 'dsmc restore "/home/user/*" -subdir=y
-nodename=fileserver' for command line, or 'dsm -nodename=fileserver' for
the GUI (we don't recommend changing dsm.opt).  The user is then prompted for
the GUI (we don't recommend changing dsm.opt).  The user is then prompted for
the fileserver's ADSM password, even if password=generate (as Reinhard noted).
ADSM mails each new password it generates on the file server client to the
place specified in the MAILPROG option in dsm.sys, so you'll have to make
sure your users have access to that for each file server.

  If you have a smaller network with fewer users and just a file server or
two, then I think having the root user on the file server client issue
the SET ACCESS command (with * for node and the user's ID for user),
or use the GUI Set Authorization utility (with User:userID and Node:*),
is better.  The user will have access to the home directory from any
node, and won't need to know the ADSM password of the file server.

           -- MJ Lopatin
              ADSM Client Development