ADSM-L

Re: DSMSCHED LOG cleanup

1994-04-12 16:14:17
Subject: Re: DSMSCHED LOG cleanup
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 20:14:17 GMT
In <1994Apr12.191306.10942 AT draper DOT com>, OSG0312%UNLVM.BITNET AT
uga.cc.uga DOT edu (Ron
 Ritchey) writes:
>Is there a way to cleanup the DSMSCHED.LOG on an OS/2 client?
>If you do a full backup everyday, that file can get extremely large.
>
>Thanks for you response in advance...

>| Ronald W. Ritchey                    Systems Programmer/Analyst      |
>| University of Nebraska               Internet: OSG0312 AT unlvm.unl DOT edu |
>| 235 Nebraska Hall                    BITNET:   OSG0312@unlvm         |
>| Lincoln NE, 68588-0521               Phone:    (402)472-7605         |

I use this procedure for all our OS/2 machines.  It is premised on
booting every morning and backing up on a schedule which runs during
the day.  Here are the 2 pieces which make up the procedure.  The
first is a fragment from /tcpip/bin/tcpexit.cmd (called by
tcpstart.cmd in os2 tcpip 2.0) and a rexx called by tcpexit.cmd.

- - tcpexit.cmd fragment - - -
/*                                                        */
/* startup adsm scheduled backup                          */
/*                                                        */
g:
cd adsmv1r2
call copylog
START g:\adsmv1r2\DSMC.EXE SCH
cd ..
d:
- - rexx 'copylog.cmd    - - -
/* REXX program to copy the schedule logfiles.                            */
/*                                                                        */
/*     1. Ask if ok to proceed.                                           */
/*     2. copy dsmsched.wk1 (1 week old) to dsmsched.wk2 (2 weeks old)    */
/*     3. copy dsmsched.log to dsmsched.wk1                            */
/*     4. Delete dsmsched.log                                             */
/*                                                                        */
/*                                                                        */
/* trace results  */
address cmd
'@echo on'
arg now
if date('w') = 'Tuesday'  | now = 'NOW' then
 do
   say 'It''s Tuesday!'
   say 'Do you want to rename the ADSM schedule logs?  Answer y or n'
   parse upper pull answer
   if answer = 'Y' then
     do
      'copy g:\adsmv1r2\dsmsched.wk1 g:\adsmv1r2\dsmsched.wk2'
      'copy g:\adsmv1r2\dsmsched.log g:\adsmv1r2\dsmsched.wk1'
      'erase g:\adsmv1r2\dsmsched.log'
    end
 end
 return 0