ADSM-L

Re: to APPC or not to APPC....

1993-09-27 17:33:23
Subject: Re: to APPC or not to APPC....
From: Tim Eisler <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 16:33:23 CDT
If you're putting in an IDENT record and the server is NOT running in
GCS, then I would say that you do need AVS. AVS translates between
APPC/VM and APPC/VTAM. As far as I know the only way to use APPC/VTAM is
to run in GCS (or MVS or VSE, I suppose.)

You tell VTAM about AVS with an application major node and a logon mode
(logmode) table. The appl major node will have APPC=YES in it. The
entries in the logmode table will also indicate LU 6.2 You put an IUCV
*IDENT line with the parameter GATEWAY in the directory entry for AVS. I
have IUCV *IDENT GATEANY GATEWAY REVOKE for my convenience.  AVS should
issue an ACTIVATE GATEWAY command with a gateway name that matches the
LU name on the APPL statement.  If you code a specific gateway name on
the IUCV *IDENT line instead of GATEANY, then this will have to match
other definitions. CP and VTAM will then know about the APPC gateway LU.

On the client you will probably have to specify a partner LU name, a
partner transaction program name (tp name) and a logon mode name. The
names should match your AVS and VTAM definitions.

When you fire up the client it try to find the ADSM server on the host
by sending out an APPC ATTACH which carries all the names (partner LU,
tp name, mode name). The ATTACH will go to VTAM. VTAM will check the
partner LU name and establish an LU 6.2 session between the client and
AVS. VTAM will then forward the ATTACH data (perhaps all of it, perhaps
only part of it - I don't know). If VTAM can't find the partner LU then
you'll probably get sense code 087D0001.

AVS will respond to the inbound APPC ATTACH by looking for a match
between the requested tp name and the resources known on VM.  If a ADSM
connects to *IDENT as a resource, AVS can find it and start the
transaction.  If AVS can't find a VM resource with the same name as the
tpn you'll get message AGWVMX382S and AGWVMX382S.

QUERY RESOURCE will tell you if a server has successfully connected to
*IDENT as resources.  CP QUERY GATEWAY will tell you about servers that
have successfully connected to *IDENT as gateways.

I hope thie helps. I've not seen any ADSM manuals yet. My knowledge comes
from setting up other APPC stuff. If anyone wants more detail, let me know.

 Tim Eisler          Systems Programmer, mostly SNA
 Computer Center, University of Illinois at Chicago