yearly backup to tape?

oskie

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, we would like to do a backup of all active data to tape for offsite storage (e.g. yearly backup). Now the tape library has only one drive and we have a storage group that is tape-based. Is there any way to solve this situation other than getting another drive for the library?

Regards,

Oskar Liljeblad ([email protected])

backupset is easier way to do this but you have only one drive... the archive would be helpful for you, you need a new stgpool, do archive to this pool and take the tape offsite...

Oskie: Do you have sufficient disk space to write your backupsets to files? I do my month-end backupsets that way. I iterate through my "monthly_backupsets" nodegroup generating backupsets as files, archiving them, and deleting the backupsets. The backupsets exist on tape in a known location as archives, and are thus easily queried, restored, and redefined for use. I have 4 drives. I do this so my backupsets exist as normally-managed objects, protected by copypool, moved from tape to tape via reclamation (to detect and repair failed media).

Anyway, that would get you around your single-drive issue.

Last edited:
archive tape drive

I have one tape drive also and I created an archive pool, my next storage pool is a tapepool. I then run hi=0 low=0, migrate the stuff to tape. Once its done I reset my hi=90 low=70.
I like to keep my files on disk for a while. Its tuff with only one tape drive.

Its easier to backup to disk, then to tape for me.

The diskpool does not have to be all that much because you set the threshold.

hope this helps some

Back