WMI repository error during backup.

tsteuver

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We have been having problems trying to get a Windows 2000 Server to backup properly. The system does backup but with the following error:

ANS1487E An error occurred while backing up the WMI repository. The database will not be backed up.

We have tried working with the WMI service but all seems to be ok. Is there a solution to this?

TSM Server Windows 5.3.3.

TSM Client Windows 5.3.4.

Some words from redbook - "Examine the Windows event log and TSM error log for messages related to WMI. Ensure that the Windows Management Instrumentation service is started."

Maybe it will help.

Well, the only event log message is the one I included in the original post and the WMI event is started. The dsmerror.log file has:

01/22/2007 03:13:48 ANS1183E An unknown error occurred while processsing system object 'WMI Database':

MS API function 'IWbemBackupRestore::Backup' failed with error -2147217407 (0x80041001)

01/22/2007 03:13:48 ANS1228E Sending of object '\\s-cms-app-p-2\c$\adsm.sys\WMI\WMIDBFILE' failed

01/22/2007 03:13:48 ANS1487E An error occurred while backing up the WMI repository. The database will not be backed up.

Ken

Hi ,
Please try adding the following to your dsm.opt, then restarted TSM Scheduler Services. it work for me.

Exclude.Backup "*\adsm.sys\*\*"
Exclude.FS "C:\WINNT\System32\*"

I found that Igor's link did not work (here in the US anyway)...

But here is a possible helpful blurb from the TSM help site:

"Check to ensure that the WMI is indeed disabled. If not,
then further investigation will be needed to determine
why the WMI was not processed.

If the customer wants the WMI service to be disabled,
then use the exclude.systemobject wmi to exclude it
from being processed."

I would go against excluding the whole adsm.sys folder - as there is other stuff in there that you usually want backed up if you can...

So - you can try to fix, or try to exclude by putting this in your dsm.opt file on the target node:

exclude.systemobject wmi

Pls let us know if that helps.
-Chef.

I had a similar probelm with a Windows 2000 Server and getting an ANS1487E error. I found that if Stopped WMI, stopped all TSM services and then restarted TSM Client Acceptor (this restarted WMI automatically), that the backup ran ran just fine. Just remember to restart any TSM services that had been stopped.

Just recently I had this same error.
05/14/2007 08:35:55 ANS1487E An error occurred while backing up the WMI repository. The database will not be backed up.

When I looked this error up, it says to check the event viewer that there may be an issue with space. I looked in the event log on the server and it does show this error..
Failed to create a backup repository for use when recovering a corrupt repository. Check there is enough disk space.

I had the DBA check the drive space and sure enough...no space left. They cleaned it up and backups have ran fine since.

Just something else to look at while troubleshooting.

Hello Gents,
I know that is late, today it's October 2008 but I have the same issue with the TSM Client Version 5, Release 3, Level 6.1, last one for Win'2K and I was unable to find here the solution to solve my issue...
Soooo, looks like a WMI issue at the OS level and you can find some nice info here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/wmifaq.mspx
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810992

..and from IBM side: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=663&uid=swg21304080
All the best! I hope will help somebody else!!!

Last edited:
Back