windows tsm 5.5 first backup howto

praecedo

Newcomer
Reaction score
hi,

new to tsm and for what i can tell some new concepts to learn in comparason for eg with veritas.
i'm reading the administrative guide for tsm windows v5.5.

in the meanwhile some help needed!!

simple layout
1 server (w2k3)
1 external autoloader (adic faststore 2)

backups needed
daily backups and weekly/monthly offsite storage for that server

what steps do i need to follow to accomplish this backup plan?

regards,
praecedo

First of all, TSM is different from plain vanilla Veritas. The concept of daily, weekly, monthly, etc. does not apply the way you have learned in the past.

TSM is an Enterprise class data management system. The backup strategy is basically incremental forever.

To answer you question, you must first learn the concepts of Backup policis, Storage pools, management class, node agents, schedulers, etc.

I suggest you read the various Redbooks available from IBM's website to get a better understanding of TSM backup setup for starters.

After reading, get back and post more detailed questions. Good luck.

hi ed,
i understand that tsm is different and probably a over the roof solution for their needs but my smb (20 users 1 server)customer history is that someone bought tsm and 1 autoloader, now it as to produce what they need. 
requirements: Daily, weekly/monthly offsite tapes
Can I do this with tsm? what are the steps? i need at least 1 first backup while still reading the 3 redbooks...
can you help me?
regards,
praecedo

This is precisely my point - daily/weekly/monthly does not mean anything to TSM if you look at it "outside the box". It all depends on how you have defined your Policies.

1. Start by asking how many versions of a file they need to keep.
2. How long to keep the files and how many versions to keep
3. How long to keep the last version
4. Setup your Diskpool, then your online tape pool, and finally your offsite tape pool.
5. Define your Policies and Management classes
6. Load the node agents
7. Create a daily backup schedules
8. Create admin schedules such that the backup dumped on disk goes to tape (online pool), and after which, the online pool is backed up to the offsite pool. Move the offsite tapes to vault using DRM - if you have the EE version of TSM. Otherwise move it via checkout. You then need to track tapes manually.
9. Run daily DB backup - move DB tapes to offsite for safe keeping.

I don't run any weekly or monthly backup as these are not needed. As I said TSM is not your plain vanilla backup. The concepts of daily/weekly/month goes down the drain.

Last edited:
Back