Windows System State Question

SteveAdmin

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All, when we do System State backups, registry, asr etc... it mentioned it should be in the adsm.sys directory on restore. There doesn't seem to be much in there. Currently testing this on a test server using virtual node name and it's requesting a re-boot, so... the restore process apparently makes entries to active areas of windows. I want to understand exactly what is happening on the System State restore but the all the documentation I have read remains secretive about the process. Can anyone tell me what happens and how to recover etc...?

Many thanks

Your systemstate dll files are in the Windows Path. The contents of the c:\adsm.sys folder are simply active pointers. You can easily remove c:\adsm.sys folder in its entirety and nothing happens to system state at the OS level. When TSM runs another incremental - it recreates this folder and its contents.
Your c:\adsm.sys folder, at a minimum, should have directories similar to those of the Vss writers.
If you compare the output of vssadmin list writers and the folder directories within c:\adsm.sys - you should see a one for match to include ASR. If not then there are functionality differences at the OS level. To validate - on the TSM server - remove the filespaces associated with the system state and system services and allow the new incremental to recreate them as well.
Your reboot request - is simply to plush memory and repopulate upon startup using the associated Dll files.
Hope this helps

Back