Windows restore not showing object

Stephan

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.twosix.ca
Hi.

We've been backing up a windows file server for a while, but today we needed to restore a file that was backed up on Oct.30th. My retention is 5 vers, 35 days...So technically, i should be fine to get it back quickly. (we've done it many times on different drives)

Yet, i cannot even see the directory where the file is supposed to be. I looked at my logs, and i can see that directory being backed up...If i PIT to NOV.4th, i can see the directories fine...

What could have happened? Those directories where created in 2006! Weird...

Does the file still exist on the filesystem? If not, are you showing inactive versions in your BAClient?

Just to update...

If i select to display active and inactive files, i can list backed up files from a specific directory, for example D:\Folder\test.txt backed up on august 9th 2007.
But now, if i PIT to August 9th and try to display that folder, i cannot even see the D:\Folder! Even less the test.txt!!! What gives?

OK, I don't know.

What result does 'select * from backups where ll_name=<filename (without path) in capitals>' give?

PIT also has a parameter for time. If you use PIT and select a time before the backup ran on the file creation date, that could explain PIT not finding the files and yet dispalying of active/inactive would.

Hi guys.
Found this (i am looking into this possibility) :

Directories not displayed for point in time restores using TSM client GUI

Technote (FAQ)

Question
TSM client fails to show folders in the GUI or web client GUI using a point in time restore

Cause
TSM server policy management for directories is preventing the TSM client GUI from properly displaying them.

Answer
The TSM point in time restore function is used to restore a file space, directory, or file to a previous condition. While a point in time restore can be useful for restoring the state of a system to an earlier date, it also carries a restriction - it can indirectly restrict what files and folders are selectable for the restore (such as from the GUI or web interface). Take the following example (which assumes that directories are bound to the same management class as files):

Filespace:
C:\
|
|-folder1
|
|-file1.txt(static)
|
|-file2.txt(changes before each backup)
|
|-folder2(static)

Copygroup settings for this client (for both directories and files):
Verexists = 7 versions of a file(file exists on the original system)
Verdelete = 7 versions of a file(file no longer on the original system)
Retextra = 7 days
Retonly = 7 days

Actions:
Assume that file2.txt changes every day, and a schedule backs up this filespace every day. When each incremental backup occurs, it sends a new active version of file2.txt, and a NEW ACTIVE version of folder1. So take the following backup schedule (Represent active copies of the backed up file and folder by "A", inactive copies by "I", and versions deleted from the filespace by "X", as shown below):

Active/Inactive/Deleted
----------------------------------------------
Day 1 | A I I I I I I X
Day 2 | A I I I I I I
Day 3 | A I I I I I
Day 4 | A I I I I
Day 5 | A I I I
Day 6 | A I I
Day 7 | A I
Day 8 | A

On Day 8, if a point in time restore of either file1.txt or folder2, using Day 1 as the point in time criteria, it would fail to see any folders under C:\ (as viewed by the GUI or web client). That is, folder1 and any of its contents are not visible for selection under a point in time restore.

Why is this so?

The TSM client GUI/web client GUI point in time restore requires an active or inactive version of that folder to exist (at the point in time specified by the user) so that it can display items from within that folder to restore. Since folder1 now has a point in time scope going back only to Day 2, folder1 and its contents are unavailable because a backup version for that folder no longer exists at that point in time. Thus, nothing within that folder (active or not) can be selected for restore from the TSM client GUI/web client GUI.

To restore a folder or file to a particular point in time (such as file1.txt or folder2), use the 'display active/inactive files' option instead. With the GUI or web client GUI, select the 'View' menu, then select the 'Display active/inactive files' option. This is the equivalent of using the command line client command 'restore c:\* -pick -inactive -subdir=yes'. Select the version to be restored, based on the date and time criteria.

Alternatively, restore the filespace using the TSM client command line, which does not have this restriction.

Managing proper versions of directories can be done using the DIRMC option in the dsm.opt file. See the TSM client manual for details. Also review solution 1083690 for learning how this works with TSM server policy management.

Back