WIN08 TSM client full system restore

abcd83

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
hi
do any one did full system restore of win08 and win08 R2 using TSM client we are using TSM6.1.3.3 can any one please let me know the procedure to restore the system state ie full system restore using YTSM client on win08

thank you.

1. This step is only required if your are restoring a Windows 2000 or XP system, or if you are restoring a Windows 2000, XP, or 2003 system with a TSM client at level 5.3.4 or older. The following commands can be used to pre-restore the Windows system file protection catalogs:

Your Windows installation directory and drive letter may vary. The %systemroot% and %systemdrive% variables can be used to create a generic restore procedure if desired.
Windows 2000:
> dsmc restore "{SYSTEM OBJECT}\winnt\system32\catroot\*"
c:\winnt\system32\ -sub=yes -rep=all
Windows XP:
> dsmc restore "{SYSTEM OBJECT}\windows\system32\catroot\*"
c:\windows\system32\ -sub=yes -rep=all
Windows 2003/Windows 2003 R2 for 5.3.4 and older client levels only:
> dsmc restore "{SYSTEM STATE}\windows\system32\catroot\*"
c:\windows\system32\ -sub=yes -rep=all
2. Restore the system drive. Ignore the request to reboot at the end of the restore and proceed to the next step! Repeat this restore step for all other drives that exist on your system.
All Windows:
> dsmc restore c:\* -sub=yes -rep=all
3. Restore the system state. The option frsprimaryrestore yes can be added to the client option file prior to running the following commands if an authoritative sysvol restore for a domain controller is required. (note: you will be prompted to reboot at the conclusion of the restore.)
Windows 2000/XP:
> dsmc restore systemobject
Windows 2003/2003 R2/Vista/2008:
> dsmc restore systemstate
4. Restore the system services. This step only applies to TSM 5.4 and older clients since the system service components are included as part of the systemstate backup beginning with TSM 5.5.
Windows 2003/2003 R2/Vista:
> dsmc restore systemservices
5. Reboot

Thanks Jeff

But i m trying to restore a full system restore using TSM server version of 5.5.1 and client of 6.1.3.3 and its on windows 2008 R2 can u please let me know wt is the procedure to follow the full system restore.

^ That is exactly what I posted.

dsmc restore c:\* -sub=yes -rep=all
dsmc restore d:\* -sub=yes -rep=all
dsmc restore systemstate
reboot

It might help to know what problems you are encountering.

Last edited:
I went back to look at my 2008 testing documentation.... here are a few things that we fought with:
1. You'll need a bigger C: drive than you originally had. In some cases it will need to be 8GB larger than before. I normally check the filespace size of the C drive and add 8GB to the calculation.
2. We had to stop and disable our antivirus services.
3. Stop but do not disable windows update service.
4. Before performing the restore you have to activate windows 2008.
5. Remember to install the new baclient code in a DR directory.
6. After the restore you may need to reactivate windows license key
7. You may see some complaints about profiles that are not empty these can be dismissed.
8. W2K8 may need to restore system state files to drives other than C: be sure all system drives are mounted and usable as they were before the disaster.

Last edited:
Thanks guys .i will try if i have any doubts i will get back to u

Back