what TDP code for oracle installed when OS is 32 bit and Application is 64 bit?

rvillano

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello To all,

I have a need to install the TSM B/A client and TDP for oracle on an AIX server. I have done this a number of times
before but the OS and the appilications have always matched up. this one has me really confused.

TSM Server V6.1.1 AIX

TSM TDP and B/A client server:
64 bit hardware
32 bit kernel
64 bit oracle 9.2.0.5 Oracle 9I

What I'm so confused about is what client and TDP code to I install on this server? My thinking is

TSM B/A 32 bit V5.3.3 since thats the only code old enough to support 32 bit and then install TDP for Oracle V5.3 as 32 bit

or V5.4 as 64 bit and not sure what to do. I looked through the install instructions for TDP V5.3 and it talks about
32 and 64 bit sizes and states install 64 if Oracle bit is 64 and 32 if Oracle bit size is 32 but what about the api from the B/A client?

If anyone can give so advice as to what code I need and any things to look out for with this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Best Regards,

Bob...

well, i think you dont have a problem since AIX is 64bit system, i never heard of 32 bit aix.

So, TSM BA client 64 bit (it is only imortant for schedules), and data protection for oracle 64 bit.

I have similar problem at customers site (64 bit windows, 32 bit Oracle) and i cannot backup oracle with 64 bit TDPoracle version, and still cannot instal 32 bit TDPoracle on 64 bit system :) But since 32bit oracle database on 64 bit windows is not supported, it is kinda not my problem :)

@f4ts0, well, believe you or not, there is (was) 32bit AIX.
What I have never heard of is 64 bit Oracle on 32bit kernel.
rvillano, can you please check it again?

Mita,

Thanks for your reply! Yes the aix client server does in fact have a 64 bit available hardware but the Kernel is presently set for 32bit. I ran a command from the ORACLE_HOME/bin directory of
"file oracle" and it came back as 64 bit. In addition I googled this a bit and see references of oracle where the "bit" size can be either 32 or 64. please try the file command if you can.

Here are some snippets of what I found out:

To find out if Oracle is 32-bit or 64-bit use: *** this returned the 64 bit info

$ ORACLE_HOME/bin> file oracle

If 32-bit :

oracle: executable (RISC System/6000) or object module not stripped

If 64-bit :

oracle: 64-bit AIX executable or object module not stripped

To find out the currently enabled kernel mode, use

$ /usr/sbin/bootinfo -K

returns "32" if the 32-bit kernel is enabled, and "64" if the 64-bit kernel is
enabled. >>> this returned 32

Best Regards,
Bob...

Mita, tnx (hvala) for info about 32 bit aix.
Rvillano, as far as i know, if you have 32bit oracle version you must have 32bit TDP, same stands for 64bit.

Now if you can install 64bit TDP agent on 32bit AIX, maybe you can try backups, but i am not sure if it will work (in my case problem is that rman cannot open channels for tivoli backup device, probably different dlls for 32/64 bit versions). That is all i can think of.

In windows world, all components (OS, oracle, TDP agent) must be on same version.

Well, you need 64 bit API (comes with TSM BA client) with 64 bit oracle as well. I just do not know if it is possible to run 64 bit API (or even install it) with 32bit kernel.
You should try both, and tell us all what you can do with it.

To All,

Thank you for your input regarding this confusing problem. At this point I think its time to open a call with IBM and open a PMR. I will update this post when I get some more info.

Best Regards,
Bob...

Back