What is the game plan for mixing clients on the same server?

ghag

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have been running TSM for all my AIX boxes...now I will be moving all Windows boxes to TSM as well...excited about doing this (yeah yeah yeah) but after thinking about it, would it be better to put all the Win boxes (2k,NT) to their own TSM server?

What are the issues...if any...for having 40 or so Win boxes sharing the same TSM db and server with 15 large AIX boxes...

TIA

George Hagopian

well your environment sounds very much like mine. Several very large Aix servers and 50 + Windows/Novell servers. I thought about having a separate server for the Intel platforms but decided it was not a good idea for DR purposes. That would mean I would have to restore two Tsm servers and reserve even more equipment at the DR site.

I have not noticed any decrease in peformance as I started to add the Intel servers to my Tsm server. I spread the backups out evenly and everything works quite well. Also, make sure you look into the Journal based backup on your Windows 2000 servers. This can speed your backups and reduce the workload on your Tsm server. The journal is a windows service and is setup via the backup/archive client gui or via the dsmcutil command.

But I would like to know on what you decide.

My two cents.

Back