What do we really restore when we do the mailbox restore???

ad283m

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've been reading the manual regarding the mailbox restore for Exchange (2003) regarding the DP Exchange, because we'll migrate from 5.X to 6.1.X

I realize that I'm going to recover an specific mailbox/boxes, now, I still don't understand this: To recover the mailbox I restore first the entire Storage Group and then the mailbox.

Also in the documentation said "Beginning full restore of storage group stg4"

Because, if I have to restore the entire storage group, then the time used to restore is great, also the amount of space needed.

Could you clarify this for me?

Thanks in advance

yes documentation is right, is tdp for exchange you have to restore the entire Storage Group first before you can restore a specific mailbox. Try TSM FASTBACK, this one has the capabilty of individual mail restore.

What version of Exchange are you using? What is your Deleted Item and Deleted Mailbox retention set to? This should be set to match/compliment TSM so that item and/or mailbox restores are performed from Exchanges built in data retention process and only full DB restores occur using TSM.

Last edited:
What version of Exchange are you using? What is your Deleted Item and Deleted Mailbox retention set to? This should be set to match/compliment TSM so that item and/or mailbox restores are performed from Exchanges built in data retention process and only full DB restores occur using TSM.

Hi sorry for the delay answering (I really didn't see the post)

We're now on version 6.1 client and TDP 6.1, Exchange 2003, the policies are 10 days according to the exchange admin.

I'm going to run a backup and a mailbox restore using TSM V6.1 to see what really restores

But still, Tivoli focuses on the Mailbox Item Level Restore, and I have to restore the entire Storage Group???, that doesn't seem to be very efficient.

Best Regards
Caroline

Efficient or not, it works this way. It's getting even worse with newer Exchange servers, to the point where you might ask is it worth having TSM for exchange at all.

Yep, I tried, It restores the entire Mailbox Storage Group and then tries to do a query (I guess) to do the mailbox restore.

I said tries because it's not working for me :( , have to see what's wrong with the config, MAPI and all that:confused:, the documentation is sooo vague in this part.

And Mita201 I totally agree TSM for Exchange it's not evolving as it should.

Back