What directories are being backed up

markroe

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Does anyone have a script that will detail (list) what directories are being backed up on a per node basis ?

The purpose of this script will be for examination of what is needed to be included and excluded in each backup.

Not sure where to begin on trying to help you here. You can get information on directories backed up. The select you want are asking for is something like this:

select ll_name from from backups where type='DIR' and node_name='CLIENTX'

PLEASE NOTE: I don't recommend using selects from the backup table to generate reports and such. It's a crude way of gathering data, and the backup table is typically huge. In short, I think this is a bad idea, and I'm sure others on this list would agree.

It's probably much easier to obtain a "directory listing" from a client end script since TSM backs up basically everything unless told to exlude directory, a, b, c. etc.

That's my 2 cents...hope it points you in the right direction. Maybe more clarity would provide more insight into how help you achieve your goal?

thank you for your reply. To clarify what we need is:

What is the best way to list to a file what is being backed up on a server ?

If somebody asked me that question, I would look at the client log file. What detail is ommitted from the dsmsched.log file that you are looking for?

Inlcude/exclude statements will tell you what ISN'T being backed up. Everything else would be.

I guess one could argue that this is one of TSM's limitation. Reporting on database inventory for one client. You can get total amount of data listings and such, but no good mechanism exists for listing all objects on record for a particular client.

Back