Weird performance problem with insertdb

TiborB

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

we are planing 5.5 - to 6.2 upgrade and as a part of testing we repeatedly tried the 'dsmserv insertdb' step.

The problem is that a week ago it lasted 11 hours. Now after a server reinstall it takes 31 hours. And we dont know why. Simply said, the dsmserv process doesnt make use of hardware, some numbers:

cpu utilization: +- 60% (dsmserv itself takes about 52-55 % of available CPUs)
hdisk activity (by iostat) <1 % tm_act for involved disks, iowaits 0-1%
paging - negigible/none, page space use < 1%
Memory usage of whole box: physical: 35% (after launching insertd and slowly growing), RSS for the dsmserv proces: 224208

dsmserv.opt:

COMMMethod TCPIP
DEVCONFIG .....
VOLUMEHISTORY ....
COMMMETHOD SHAREDMEM
SHMPort 1510
ACTIVELOGDirectory ......
ARCHLOGDirectory .....
(that is all)

dsmserv insertdb gives on errors on console

31 hours is too long for us and in addition to this I am afraid that the slowness would show also during normal operation.

The server is old P5 server with 2 CPU / 32 GB memory (everything dedicated to the tsm server)

TSM version: 6.2.5.0
AIX: 6100-05-09-1228

Any idea what can be wrong?

Regards

Are you comparing apples with apples?

Meaning, is the server rebuild the same as it was on the original test? Are you using the same TSM DB or a later one?

Are you using OLSEN or POSIX time format ? Check /etc/environment TZ entry. OLSEN is no good for insert.
Also in your dsmserv.opt you can set your DBMEMPERCENT higher so DB2 will use more memory.
If its 1 server insert I would make it 80% or so.

How should I know?!

Are you using OLSEN or POSIX time format ?

This was it!!! Historically we were using POSIX format time - and the installation on the server was old, but when reinstalling I used OLSEN (Country/city) format - it is easier to configure.
Now the CPU utilization varies between 93-99 %, and "megabytes per hour" are back to high values.

So thank you for idea!

As for DBMEMPERCENT, I believe that default (=auto) should be fine, but I still set it to "80" in dsmserv.opt....

Last edited:
Back