Web Report

pictux

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pictux.org
Hi all.
Every day a Tivoli OR (rel. 5.3.0.0 installed on a Win 2003 Server) generate a report.
Report is delivered every morning, but the report is malformed; header is present (info about report generation time and date), but the body is missing and there's that message:

Error - Failed to load custom summary template file default_rep_eng.xml. Return Code: -4

After every server reboot, report are generated correctly for a few days.
Few days after report become malformed again.

We try to reinstall Tivoli OR, following posts about user permission, installing also MS xml parser, but with no results.

Any suggestion ?

Regards
M

Install the OR on another Windows workstation and point it at the TSM server, see if you get the same results...

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I'd like to not install OR in another Server/Workstation.
I'd like to understand if there are known causes/solutions to that problem.

We reinstall OR (web report ok for few days, then the error reported on first post), install XML Win parser (no visible changes), reboot Server (same results as the OR reinstallation).

Maybe the OS allocate in same way the template file default_rep_eng.xml ...
Maybe there's a timeout loading that file...
Maybe ...

Maybe install another version of OR will solve the problem.
Thanks

I'd like to not install OR in another Server/Workstation.
I'd like to understand if there are known causes/solutions to that problem.

Yeah you said. There aren't any 'known causes/solutions' to what you are describing, I think there is something wrong with the machine it's installed on, that's why I am suggesting testing it on another workstation to see if you can replicate the behaviour elsewhere; just standard logical deductive reasoning. The TSM OR install is so light-weight it would be nothing to install it on a desktop that is lying around (preferably not in any Active Directory OUs that the existing one is in that involve software deployment, also avoiding MOM, or any third-party software deployment apps) and see if it also gets corrupt XML-y bits. If it doesn't, it confirms the theory that something else on the box you have TSM OR on at the moment is breaking OR.

Just a thought, is the TSM OR workstation a Sharepoint box?

Hi and thanks for reply.

The TSM OR runs on a Win 2003 Server (no Sharepoint box).
Sincerely i never heard nothing about Sharepoint box before now :-D

Regards

Last edited:
Hi all.
I've solved my troubles.
First of all, as i already said, i don't want to use another server to create the OR (Web Reports).

I've disactivated the running OR (so no Report was generated and no e-mail delivered).
Then i use a tsm console tool:
tsmrept
in this way (open your cmd console).
To look at Operational Report created:

cd C:\Program Files\Tivoli\tsm\Console

tsmrept -type=list

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
Command Line Operational Reporting Interface - Version 5, Release 3, Level 0.0
Copyright IBM Corporation 2002, 2003 All Rights Reserved.

-COMPUTER=tsmserver_hostname -INSTANCE="TSMServer_instname" -TYPE=report -NAME="daily report"
-COMPUTER=tsmserver_hostname -INSTANCE="TSMServer_instname" -TYPE=report -NAME="custom daily report"
-COMPUTER=tsmserver_hostname -INSTANCE="TSMServer_instname" -TYPE=report -NAME="another custom daily report"

(i've changed ip/hostname, instance name and report name)
Then i've created a .bat script that do:

cd C:\Program Files\Tivoli\tsm\Console

tsmrept -COMPUTER=tsmserver_hostname -INSTANCE="TSMServer_instname" -TYPE=report -NAME="daily report" -NOTIFYRECIPIENTS=NO

tsmrept -COMPUTER=tsmserver_hostname -INSTANCE="TSMServer_instname" -TYPE=report -NAME="custom daily report" -NOTIFYRECIPIENTS=NO

tsmrept -COMPUTER=tsmserver_hostname -INSTANCE="TSMServer_instname" -TYPE=report -NAME="another custom daily report" -NOTIFYRECIPIENTS=YES

In this way this batch script generates my three report and send to recipients only the one specified (of course you can set that also in the specific OR Properties).
I schedule that script to run using the Windows schedule manager.

Now OR (Web Reports) are well created and emailed.
Regards

Back