VTL mounts/resourceutilization

dms19

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
When writing directly to a VTL set up as a 3584 (with 3592 drives) I have max mount point set to 1.

Can I bump up resourceutilization and get multiple threads writing to that single mount point to help speed up backups?

thnx!

Yes... but you can also configure additional drives. We have our EMC DL720 configured as IBM3584 libraries with 12 drives each. We have 8 libraries configured on the DL720 and still are below 50% untilization.

We have 18 drives defined, but are running into an issue with resources on the clients. If I can allow more threads per session to finish the backup quicker vs defining a bunch of drives, I'd rather go that route.

thanks for the reply!!

So you want more clients to backup at the same time or more threads for a single client?

What is your resource utilization set to?

yes, more threads per client. resourceutil is 1 right now. Wasnt sure with a VLT if it could be bumped up to 3 or 4.

I believe simply raising your client resource utilization will get you what you want. Our default RU is 8.

To revisit this....

The lack of drives isnt the issue - I'm just worried that additional streams from bumping up the resource util will result in more scratch tapes (obviously going directly to tape) being used.

Does anyone have experience with upping the resourceutil and how it would relate to a single clients use of one or many drives during a backup?

Back