VTL in OS, how does it look there?

asterix20

Newcomer
Reaction score
How os (AIX or Windows) sees connected VTL? as disk storage or tape library?
and another question/
if i need third-level storage hierarchy (disk-disk-tape) where first level using by application and date from it must transparent migrate to second level.
As all data neet transfer over SAN, we wanted use SANergy, but i think that with VTL it will be more simply.
So is it possible use VTL as first or second disk storage pool? :)

asterix,

How the VTL is seen by the OS depends on how it has been configured. Most VTL devices will be set up to emulate a 'tape library and drives' setup by default. Some (but not many) devices will allow you to stop the emulation and just use the disk (for TSM diskpools), but considering you're paying a lot of money for the VTL features, I wouldn't say it's worth doing this.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by your second question, but again - depending on what VTL you have, you could use the device for disk staging if you really wanted to.

-Chris

Thanks Chris.
I didn't work with VTL earlier, so my questions may be a little incorrect...
As I understand - one of VTL main featuers it's emulation of tape library with saving preferences of disk pools, like fast data access and possibility use SAN data transfer to disk storage device. (if VTL will be configured as tape library and using TSM for SAN to transfer data over san).
Is it right?

asterix,

Ok I understand now :) Yes you're correct, you can go 'LAN-Free' to disk storage (as an emulated tape library) without having to use SANergy. I havent used SANergy myself, but I imagine a VTL is a much simpler configuration. And VTL speeds are generally pretty good, faster than real tape in a lot of cases. Setting up the LAN-Free client to write to Virtual Tape Drives is exactly the same as for real drives, and isn't a difficult process.

You can definately use VTL-based storage pools for your 'first tier' TSM storage, just make sure that you've defined enough virtual tape drives to handle your backup load. Each backup session will use one (or more) vtl drives to write to - whereas with a standard disk pool all the clients can just write at the same time. Depending on how your schedules are setup, I would define enough drives for at least half of your clients to use concurrently. If your scheds are more spread out you could get away with less.

-Chris

Back