Vstor b/u prob

47hex

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We are in the process of testing TSM backup of Vmware Vsphere and are running into an issue. I have both the TSM BA client v6.2.3.0 and the new TSM TDP for vm's connecting to a v5.5x TSM server. Right now I am just trying to get the full VM backup to work. I have the client installed on a Win2003 guest. The storage for Vmware is on an equalogic iscsi san. The win03 B/U proxy has an iscsi initiator configured to access the storage. Automount has been disabled in diskpart. I can see the lun in MS disk mgr. All steps from B/A client guide have been performed. When I run the backup vm command (CLI or GUI) the following occurs:
The snapshot is created. I can see this process in vcenter and it appears to complete successfully.
When the process to backup the files to TSM begins it stops immediately and the log reports the following:

04/06/2011 14:31:15 ANS9365E VMware vStorage API error.
TSM function name : vddksdkOpen
TSM file : vmvddksdk.cpp (1311)
API return code : 13
API error message : You do not have access rights to this file

Here is my opt file:
NODENAME amp-vdr-test
TCPSERVERADDRESS tsm-01.mydomain.org
VMFULLTYPE VSTOR
passwordaccess generate
SNAPSHOTPROVIDERFS VSS
VMBACKUPTYPE FULLVM
VMCHOST 172.18.33.21
VMCUSER mydomain\username
VMCPW ****
Any ideas?

Also, can anyone confirm if a SAN connection (iscsi in this case) to the VM storage is required for vsphere b/u, or can the backup occur using the vcenter connection?

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as you.

I have access to IBM PMR and indicate that it's a problem of the API and that we must open a ticket with VMWare.
I have a conference call this afternoon with someone at VMWare.

I'll update this post when I have more information.

Unfortunately, for the moment I have no interesting information from VMWare ....

@Mitch08: Yes, I tried.
I even tried to connect directly to the ESX as root.

Check if the port 902 is opened between the TSM client where 6.2.3 is installed and the vcenter machine.
I had the some problem, and now that the port has been opened, I don't see the error any more.

Any update on this ? Cause I'm experiencing the same problem, and my firewall on both the client and the vcenter is not activated, so no port is blocked.

FYI, The backup ran well when i was doing it directly from the vcenter

Back